The Fishermans net

The stories included here show how God is working in the lives of His people on a daily basis, in every aspect and in a way that makes clear that He is 'leading His children along'.

The stories are all taken from the members and attendees of Christ's American Baptist Church of Menges Mills, Pa.

Friday, May 7, 2010

The Fishwrapper Vol. 3

VOL. 3
I've included an attachment to our Fishwrapper. I hope you can open it and play it. I am still claiming my song, 'He Leads Us Along', sung here by Gloria Gaither, as my theme song. I want you to hear it. Listen to it and believe in it's message of hope. It has meant so much to me, and I'm sure for those of you who are suffering some hurt or pain in your life, it will be a balm for your soul. Listen to the words and soak in the sweetness.

2 Corinthians 12:9
He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” This month, I asked J.R. Reever to share a story of God's love with us. Many of you know J.R., I'm sure. He is a faithful, dedicated man of God who has answered His call to minister to the men in prison. They need His leading and are being taught about our loving God, whose forgiveness extends to all who ask for it. We're going to explore how this man's weakness was taken by our God, and changed into his strength. "He reached down from on high and took hold of me; He drove me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me." - Psalm 18:16-17

I thought of J.R. when I was given my assignment from God for this years Thanksgiving Ministry. I'll share my thoughts on that after you see what he shared with us.

Is God in charge and does He have a plan?

Last Tuesday evening at the Adams County Prison I had an experience that just let's you know that God is in charge and He does have a plan!
While ministering to the prisoners, I was conducting a lesson on trust and praying for each other. Especially if someone is having a bad day. Even if you don't like that person or care for that person, you still must pray for them.

I shared a story about my old neighbors. These old neighbors were party animals and very disruptive. They had huge parties and played loud music well into the morning hours. I asked them several times not to have parties that last so late. It fell on deaf ears. Their son Patrick had a motorcycle that he constantly ran around for hours on end. They would not listen to reason and cared nothing about anyone elses feelings or their privacy. I didn't care for them at all, and that would be putting it mildly.

Years went by and my dislike grew. One day I heard that they were not getting along with each other and were considering divorce. My first thoughts were good, maybe they will sell the house and move away from me, but God said no J.R. you must pray for them so they don't divorce and satan tears the family apart. I prayed for them for quite a while. My prayers were answered for awhile.

Eventually she met a co-worker though, while working at a local motorcycle plant and left her husband.
He sold the house and moved away.
End of story, right? Not quite. To my surprise, an inmate who had never attended my Celebrate Recovery ministry before stated, that story sounds like my family. I looked at the young man and asked his first name. He said my name is Patrick. I said not Patrick @$!&*&^% Yes, he said, it is. I said Patrick, my name is J.R. Reever, your old neighbor.

The inmates jaw dropped as well as mine. I felt sadness, remorse and wanted to ask him for forgiveness. Time did not permit us to talk about what had happened to him, that he ended up in prison, but Patrick did tell me that his Mom went over to his Dad's house the other week to talk.

One of the prisoners commented, J.R., start praying again, maybe his Mom and Dad will get back together. I said that I will pray that God will bring them back together again.
God has placed Patrick back into my life, why I don't know, but God does............... Blessings, J.R. Reever, Prison Ministry

Thinking about J.R's Ministry, I realized that the families of those who J.R. is ministering to need to see God's love coming from those who profess to love Him and want to be a beacon in the darkness for those going through terrible struggles brought on, not by a stranger, but by the very ones they love. The betrayal they must be feeling. Think of the trust issues they will have when they get out. This year, God has shown me that we could feed these families Thanksgiving dinner. One prepared for them and where they can sit down together and relax, away from the stresses at home.

I am having address sized labels printed that say "IN GOD WE TRUST". In these times when our own government is taking away our rights regarding our freedom of religion, it is time for Christians to make a statement regarding their love of Country and our belief that our Nation was indeed founded as a Christian Nation who depends on Him to lead and direct both us and our leaders. I'm going to use all the proceeds from the sale of these labels to expand our ministry to feed people both at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I've contacted the Adams County Office on Aging and they told me that people who get Meals On Wheels never get a hot Thanksgiving meal delivered to them. Those between Gettysburg, York Springs, East Berlin and Hanover will get one this year! I want to feed the families of J.R.'s Prison Ministry. I'd like to provide Bibles to all of these people, so please be thinking of a way to get a few Bibles you can donate for this need. I already have a restaurant that seats 140 people who will make our Thanksgiving dinner, even serve buffet style and all you can eat on Thanksgiving Day no less! God's Meal Barrel and York Rescue Mission will also be taken care of as well. It's a big undertaking, but if you all pitch in and sell at least 10 sets of 200 labels for $10.00 a set, we will be able to show others that "The GOD WE TRUST" is able to feed His Sheep.

I'm having 10,000 labels printed initially, but would love to run out and have to have more printed!!! I'll have a sign up sheet made available at Church later showing areas we'll need help with this ministry. I know God will again give us a loaves and fishes blessing for this much needed effort.

Another Ministry I would like to tell you about that is having a giant impact on those they serve is Nehemiah Missions. John Little gave me this note the other day. I want to share it with you:

.... About three years ago a woman in our neighborhood lost her husband of many years to cancer. Her husband took care of home repairs and she found she needed a plumbing job done. A mutual acquaintance gave out our phone number. Along with another neighbor the job was done through Nehemiah Mission. After talking a while and explaining the Nehemiah Mission our neighbor exclaimed "I'm so glad to meet you two, I thought I might be the only Christian in this neighborhood."

Luke 24:47 with My authority, take this message of repentance to all the nations, beginning with Jerusalem: 'there is forgiveness of sins for all who turn to Me'. I realized if 'my Jerusalem' was my neighborhood - and it is - we weren't doing too well.

As we walk through our daily life, what are we actively doing to let others know we are Christians? How are we showing, expressing our love of Jesus to all those we come into contact with? ....John Little

No comments:

Post a Comment